The refresher course is for delegates who have previously passed the full five-day (SMSTS) or subsequent two-day Refresher course and can provide proof of attendance. It aims to bring their health and safety knowledge up to date, as well as giving a thorough overview of legislative changes and their impact in the workplace. The course includes a wide range of topics, some building on those contained within the five-day course programme and others introducing new subjects
• Appreciate recent developments in construction legislation accident causes, costs and reasons for prevention;
• Understand the legal system, relevant legislation, Approved Codes of Practice, Guidance Notes Codes of Practice and case law;
• Conduct risk assessments;
• Monitor health and safety performance;
• Understand best practice in the management of sub-contractors;
• Disseminate information to operatives and sub-contractors.
Individuals wishing to renew their SMSTS certificate must provide a copy of the original five-day course certificate. Only those individuals who have passed the five day course and provided evidence of this will be eligible to take the two day refresher course.